Sunday, May 3, 2009

Spiritual Sunday







"Forget yourself for others

and others will not forget you"



Millie was a mentally retarded adult who lived with her mother in a small town. She was known for her proverbial "green thumb" as a gardener. Lawns, hedges and flower beds flourished under her loving attention. Millie also "volunteered" by cutting grass and weeds, raking leaves, and planting flowers in vacant lots throughout the town. She was known for her "oil can". She always carried a small can of lubricating oil in her hip pocket and applied a dose of oil to any squeaky door, hinge, or gate she encountered.

On Sundays Millie went to church with her mother. When teased she refused to respond in any way other than with good humor and unflappable cheer.

When Millie died, everyone in town showed up for her funeral. There were scores who traveled from distant places to attend, including many of those who had once teased her.

Without consciously attempting to do so, Millie exemplified good citizenship. She worked hard, was an optimist, eased tensions and was a faithful church member.

Others really do notice the small things we do for them in love and kindness.



*Therefore all things whatsoever ye would

that men should do to you,

do you even so to them:

for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 7:12


3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Boy this is so true. The people who are remembered fondly are those who have been selfless in the way they treat others. Thank you for this wonderful post and for sharing it with us today.
Love the picture of the little girl smelling the roses.
Blessings,
Charlotte

nannykim said...

Good post--and it is true, sometimes the smallest things actually have more meaning to me--I need to remember this in doing them unto others!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This post has so much meaning to it.Thank-you so much for sharing it today.
God Bless,
Ginger

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

I'm so glad you stopped by!

My eBay Store


Hello there! I'd like to introduce myself..... My name is Joyce and I live in northern California, in the beautiful San Joaquin Valley. In 1975, I was blessed by God with a wonderful man named Stephen. Whether or not you believe in such a thing, ours truly was "love at first sight". We were married one year later. In time, we were further blessed with 5 beautiful children, four boys and one girl. Steve was my rock, my protector, my soul mate, and my best friend. We spent 30 precious years on this earth together, and for this I give thanks each and every day of my life. Sadly, my dear Steve passed away in December of 2005. He was such a strong spirit and loving soul that I know he is still here, loving and watching over us.

Grammas Little Tigger

"Gramma's Newest Little Love"

"Gramma's Newest Little Love"
Show and Tell

Stop by and visit Pat!

My Blog List


Helen Steiner Rice

1. Thou shalt be happy

2. Thou shalt use thy talents to make others glad.

3. Thou shalt rise above defeat and trouble.

4. Thou shalt look upon each day as a new day.

5. Thou shalt always do thy best and leave the rest to God.

6. Thou shalt not waste thy time and energy in useless worry.

7. Thou shalt look only on the bright side of life.

8. Thou shalt not be afraid of tomorrow.

9. Thou shalt have a kind word and a kind deed for everyone.

10. Thou shalt say each morning -- I am a child of God and nothing can hurt me.



Delia252@aol.com